My name is Sahil Handa. I was born in North London to Indian parents — one was born in Mombasa, and the other in Gujurat. I spent three years living in India (2006 - 2009) before returning to London for high school at this grammar school. I spent time as a visual artist with the Royal Academy of Arts and as an actor with the National Youth Theatre. I worked at a few startups during my gap year, before running around the world backpacking, skydiving, and dancing with strangers. I went to Harvard for undergrad, majoring in Social Studies & Philosophy. I also spent two terms at Jesus College, Cambridge in the Spring of 2020.
I am currently working on a startup called Typo (we're building a messaging app for creatives.) Before that, I was on the founding team at Persuasion, a publication dedicated to defending the values of a free society. I spend my time reading, writing, programming, drawing, designing, and dancing (literally and metaphorically.) In a past life, I had extremely long hair and played the guitar.
Here’s a list of things that I like: wandering walks, writing in warm light, drinking at jazz bars, painting on canvas, DJing techno, hosting wine nights, dance battles at nightclubs, calisthenics in the gym, coding while caffeinated, copious note-taking, intricate text threads, designing a vibey living environment, black coffee while fasted, thinking with friends, laughing with family, touring second hand bookshops, and eating oats.
Here’s a selection of some recent writing:
- Rebel Rebel (February 11, 2021)
- Is America Really a Meritocracy? (September 30, 2021)
- Personal Essay about James Baldwin and Race in America (August 11, 2021)
- Why I’m an Optimist; Commentary on the Zoomers (July 13, 2021)
- What the Old Don’t Get About the Woke (January 25, 2021)
- Why I Refuse to "Educate Myself" (Aug 30, 2020)
- How to Tame Tiktok (July 27, 2020)
- Boris Johnson’s Victory and the Political Realignment Shaking Western Democracies (January 2, 2020)
- Dominic Cummings and the Populist Surge (August 10, 2019)
Say hello on Twitter, Goodreads, or at email@example.com
P.S. The map shows where I am right now :)